OK, in the last post, I had moved my partitions around substantially, so we were obviously in for a few problems booting. To recap, the new layout looks like this:
- /dev/hda1 – 20Gb – Linux main system (moved and enlarged)
- /dev/hda2 – 100Mb – /boot partition (moved)
- /dev/hda4 – 1 Gb – swap partition (moved)
- /dev/hda3 – Extended partition containing
- /dev/hda5 – 17 Gb Data partition (enlarged)
- /dev/hda6 – 17Gb /home partition (newly created to house all the VMs)
The first problem was getting the thing to boot up. The MBR was still on the boot sector of the drive, but it was telling the computer to boot from the wrong sector. I pulled out the Mint / Ubuntu install CD and booted from that.