wp-cli "Connection refused" error

Couldn't find anything about this with a few google searches so I decided to note it here. Weird problem: whenever I ran any wp-cli command, I'd get a list of 100+ lines of "Connection refused" before it actually did what I wanted. I tried a few things to figure it out, including So on a hunch I tried … after which all wp-cli operations worked again. After some further digging, I enabled w3 Total Cache again, and found that it was configured to use redis, which wasn't running on the server. So the connection attempts were failing to connect to … Read more

Troubleshooting postfix using bcc to local user

After routing mail through postfix to an external relay server (in this case gmail's smtp relay), all the mail from a server was routing correctly. Except after a couple of days I noticed a couple of strange bounces. Authentication at the gmail end was by IP address and domain, so any address [email protected] could be used to send email. But these were coming from [email protected] so were being rejected with a helpful message by gmail.

The IP address you've 550-5.7.1 registered in your G Suite SMTP Relay service doesn't match domain of 550-5.7.1 the account this email is being sent from. If you are trying to relay 550-5.7.1 mail from a domain that isn't registered under your G Suite account 550-5.7.1 or has empty envelope-from, you must configure your mail server 550-5.7.1 either to use SMTP AUTH to identify the sending domain or to present 550-5.7.1 one of your domain names in the HELO or EHLO command. For more 550-5.7.1 information, please visit 550 5.7.1 https://support.google.com/a/answer/6140680

Pretty helpful as messages go. Less helpful was the fact that there were several websites on the server and a couple of other apps, and I didn't have access to the admin panels of any of them. The mails, once bounced, were removed from postfix's queue, never to be seen again. Time for some detective work.

Read more

Migrating from Notecase to CherryTree

So I have a few documents which started life in TreePad. Then about 8 years ago I migrated them to Notecase, for reasons I don't remember. I hadn't opened them for a few months, but when I opened one in Notecase last week, I found out that they'd removed the everlasting Trial mode and they now have only a 30-day trial or paid modes. The prices are not unreasonable, but given that I hadn't opened any documents in the 6 months since they implemented the change, I decided to look for another Note Organizer. My search took me to CherryTree. … Read more

RTL8188 adapter upgrade hell

On my desktop I've been running Linux Mint for the last few years, and have always done the distro upgrade-in-place. This time I tried it and there were too many errors — the upgrade tool wanted to remove around 50 apps, disable all my repos, and generally mess around with my system in too many ways, so I opted to go the "wipe and install fresh" route. My reasoning was also that after 6 years of upgrades, there were probably a few extra files on there, that I didn't need ( a mysterious 3 Gb in the flatpak directory for eg), and I'd messed around with the system config a few times over the time — pipewire, different DNS resolvers etc — so a fresh install would be a good thing. And it was, but for one nightmare: my RTL8188 adapter.

Read more

Node Package Manager install surprise. 387 extra packages!

I've got a server running Ubuntu 20, and wanted to try out something on it with nodejs. I checked on the server and apparently nodejs was already installed. I guess some previous dependency had put it on there a long time ago. node –version v10.19.0apt-cache policy nodejs nodejs: Installed: 10.19.0~dfsg-3ubuntu1 Candidate: 10.19.0~dfsg-3ubuntu1 OK, so the next thing I needed to do was to install node package manager, npm. (you might need to scroll down in a second) apt install npmReading package lists… DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information… DoneThe following additional packages will be installed:build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-9 gyp libalgorithm-diff-perl … Read more